MS Rossia: Moscow - Kazan - Moscow
12 days / 11 nights
Welcome to Russia! Upon arrival you will be met and escorted to your cruise ship. After boarding, you will have free time to relax before dinner.
Your morning city tour includes the Red Square, see the brightly colored St. Basil’s Cathedral from the outside, the Lenin Mausoleum and the State Historical Museum and visit the famous GUM Department Store. After lunch in the city restaurant you will continue to investigate Moscow – your tour will take you to the red-brick Kremlin. During a stroll around the Kremlin Grounds you will see the majestic Cathedral Square which still retains its original form. There you can find a unique complex of masterpieces of medieval architecture: the Annunciation Cathedral, the Assumption Cathedral, the Archangel Cathedral and the Bell Tower of Ivan the Great. Tonight, meet the Captain of the ship during a welcome cocktail with sparkling wine.
You will visit one of the loveliest cities of the Golden Ring – Uglich. During the walking tour you will visit the renowned greendomed Cathedral of Transfiguration perched at the water’s edge. Next, you will be taken to the Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood, built on the site where Dmitry, the youngest son of Ivan the Terrible, was murdered.
You will arrive in the fascinating ancient city of Yaroslavl, with its long history dating back to 1010, which makes it older than Moscow. You will stroll through the historic part of the city, a World Heritage Site, which is located at the confluence of the Volga and the Kotorosl Rivers. We will step inside the Church of Elijah the Prophet, with the interior covered in frescoes from the floor to the top of the domes, and wander around the grounds of the 12th century Savior-Transfiguration Monastery.
Today you will visit Nizhny Novgorod – Russia’s fifth largest city, one the most ancient and picturesque towns in Russia. It is located on hills where the Oka River empties into the Volga - the city impresses with the mighty brick walls of the Kremlin overlooking the confluence of two rivers. Nizhny Novgorod was a great trade center of the Russian Empire. In Soviet times the city turned into an important industrial central, the Gorky Automobile Plant was constructed in that period. After the World War II the city was closed for foreigners for many years.
During a City Tour around Kazan you will see the white stone walls of Kazan Kremlin; the legendary lake Kaban; the Tatar State Academic Theatre; Kremlevskaya Street with the main building of the Kazan Federal University and the Aleksandrovsky Passage; the Peter and Paul Cathedral; the Liberty Square with the Opera and Ballet theatre and Concert hall. During the city tour we will also visit Kazan Kremlin - a heart of the city, where ancient and modern cultural traditions, as well as legends and facts, blend together. Kazan Kremlin is the object of UNESCO which walls united two religions – Moslem (Legendary Kul-Sharif Mosque) and Orthodox (Annunciation Cathedral). You will touch the walls of Suyumbike falling tower. Please, be informed that May 9th is a very important festive day in Russia – Victory Day, part of the streets in the city centre will be closed for transport, and therefore we will probably use public transport during the excursion.
You will sail on the Volga River into Cheboksary early this morning. After breakfast you will go on a bus city tour, which will get you acquainted with the capital of Chuvashia Republic. During our visit you will see the main highlights of the city – the Mother Patroness Monument, Moscow Embankment of the Volga River, the Musical Theater, Victory Park, Red Square.
Today in the morning you have the opportunity to participate in one of the optional visits in Nizhny Novgorod or just enjoy your free time in the city centre. After, you will be transferred by bus (1h) to ancient Gorodets, founded in XII century. We will take a stroll through the streets of “City of Craftsmen” – a place where local masters of art crafts display their techniques and sell their creations. We will also visit the Museum of Russian samovar situated in 19th century estate of Grishaev. After the excursion program we will embark the ship in Gorodets.
This day you will have a bus city-tour in Kostroma – one of the cities of the Golden Ring of Russia and one of the most beautiful ancient towns of Russia. One of the best preserved examples of the 18th century town planning, Kostroma retains some elegant structures in a "provincial neoclassical" style: a governor’s palace, a fire-observation watchtower, the palace of general Borshov, an arcaded central market (merchant galleries) with a merchant church in the center. We will visit the Bogoyavlensky (Epiphany) Convent - one of the most populous Russian Orthodox convents today. Nowadays Kostroma is known for its silver jewelry and dairy products.
Today, sailing takes you to the small town (population 6.000) of Myshkin. The name of the town is derived from the Russian word “mysh” meaning mouse, so don’t be surprised that this tiny animal occupies an important place as a symbol of the city. We will have a walking tour with an excursion to the old mill, the museum of Russian Valenki (traditional Russian felt boots), the artisans’ house, the ethnographic expo "Flax", and Uspensky (Assumption) Cathedral.
Day off to relax on your cruise ship.
After breakfast your cruise will come to an end. Transfer from your cruise ship to the airport.
Our prices include:
- Accommodation on board of 5★ m/s Rossia – 11 nights
- Three meals per day on board of the ship starting with dinner on the day of embarkation and final breakfast on the day of disembarkation
- Daily bottle of water - 0.5L per guest or 1.0L per cabin
- Water in jar on the table in restaurant for lunch and dinner
- Transfers upon arrival/departure for groups of 20 pax minimum; transfers for groups less than 20 pax shall be paid additionally
- Porterage of luggage bus – ship & ship – bus
- One local English speaking guide in each point of itinerary for each group from 30 pax (excursions can be delivered under translation)
- One English speaking assistant on board for each group from 30 pax, starting from the day of embarkation (from 15:00) and ending with the day of disembarkation (10:00)
- Welcoming cocktail – presentation with a glass of champagne
- Extensive excursion programme as per above mentioned basic programme: one complimentary shore excursion in each point of call (Uglich, Yaroslavl, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Cheboksary, Gorodets, Kostroma, Myshkin)
- 2 excursions in Moscow (city-tour, Kremlin)
- Entertainment programme on board
- Russian language lessons
- Russian song lessons
- One lecture on Russian History
- Three concerts on board, including one concert of Russian romance,
- Live music in the bar every night
- Farewell Dinner aboard with 1 glass of champagne or 1 shot of vodka
- Three sets of bed linen and bath towels for a cruise of 12-14 days
- Daily change of hand-towels,
- The services of the staff on board that provides for navigation of the vessel and technical maintenance
- A doctor on board (first aid visits are free)